"A word after a word after a word is power" - Margaret Atwood

BRIDGET WHELAN

A blog for readers and writers

A blog about the stories we tell each other and how we tell them...

Monday 17 January 2011

A Small Stone Number 17

A writer's lot...
...I have a sudden burning itch to write in the voice of an onion, a mushroom, a whole salad drawer of characters. I'm inspired by Sylvia Plath:
Overnight, very
Whitely, discreetly,
Very quietly

Our toes, our noses
Take hold on the loam,
Acquire the air.
And by Suji Kwock Kim
I don't mean to make you cry.
I mean nothing, but this has not kept you
From peeling away my body, layer by layer, 
The tears clouding your eyes as the table fills
With husks, cut flesh, all the debris of pursuit.
What does a potato sound like or a Brussel sprout?
Drat! I can't find out -  I have a tax form to fill out.

2 comments:

wrensong said...

Marvelous,Bridget! And wonderful sample nibbles. I await the voice of the brussel sprout!

BRIDGET said...

and the accountant is waiting for my Tax Return...