"A word after a word after a word is power" - Margaret Atwood

BRIDGET WHELAN

A blog for readers and writers

A blog about the stories we tell each other and how we tell them...

Monday 18 April 2011

A Writing Retreat for Women (better than a week in the Canaries...)

New Writing South is one of my favourite organisations, partly because it sometimes employs me (and I am biased towards any organisation that has the great good sense to do that), but mostly because it does so many interesting things and never ever rests on past glories. It's based in Brighton but serves writers, emerging writers and want-to-be writers throughout the south east region from Oxford to Kent. 
I've just heard that they are about to launch a special three-day writing retreat for women. It will take place in September in rural Sussex and it will be led by Vanessa Gebbie. I know Vanessa and I have no doubt it will be an empowering expereince. She is not only a highly original and exciting short story writer (winner of numerous competitions) but also an excellent writing tutor. Her first novel is out later this year and I recommend her guide to the art of short story writing, Short Circuit published by Salt. 
Find out more about the autumn retreat by visiting New Writing South's website (click the title of this post). You can register your interest by emailing


No comments: