"A word after a word after a word is power" - Margaret Atwood

BRIDGET WHELAN

A blog for readers and writers

A blog about the stories we tell each other and how we tell them...

Tuesday 27 April 2010

Book Lovers

It's scary reading reviews. I never believe anyone who says that they don't care what's said about them. Make no mistake: this is personal. So, of course, I was delighted that the reviewer on the international Book Lovers' website liked A GOOD CONFESSION but it was especially gratifying that it was a self proclaimed HEA (happy ever after) addict who read it and enjoyed it so much it's forced her to re-think her preference.  
What about the ending?... It’s not what I wanted but it was the most logical one. I would have hated if thing had happened differently. There’s hope at the end, and that’s more than Cathleen would have had otherwise.... I’m left here rethinking my definition of a Happy Ever After. The more I think about it the more I like Cathleen’s choice in the last scene.
And that's not all she was thinking about.
Bridget Whelan did something impossible…she helped me understand priests. I never understood their motivations (I’m not a religious person) but by the end of the book I understood.
It sounds as though she fell in love too.
I loved reading about Cathleen and her girls and the scenes in Ireland looked ‘authentic’, I felt like I was there. The writing style is compelling and Bridget Whelan succeeded in making me crave for this sense of community, I was longing for Ireland.
Mind you, she obviously found the sex scenes a bit too tame.  To be honest I don't know if I would write anything explicit.  I'm not being prudish: I just don't think we have much of a vocabulary for good sex . There are times when less is more and too much detail can turn physical passion into something faintly ridiculous. The most sensuous novel I've read (and re-read) is Michael Ondaatje's The English Patient. The writing is spare and the result intense.

Thank you Book Lovers for reading A GOOD CONFESSION. Thank you for liking it. 
(Click on the title of this post to read it in full.)

No comments: